All my soaps contain various blends of vegetable and animal fats – namely tallow and lard. My tallow and lard comes from our own pasture raised beef and pork. Tallow and lard are normally discarded and by using them in my soaps I am helping reduce waste.
When lye (sodium hydroxide) and fats and oils are combined an organic chemical reaction occurs which creates soap! This reaction is called Saponification. Saponification transforms the oils, fats and lye into a wonderful soap that is gentle and conditioning with a creamy lather.
BENEFITS OF BEEF TALLOW FOR THE SKIN:
- Rich in anti-aging antioxidants
- Rich in vitamins A, D, E and K that nourish the skin directly
- Easily absorbable as beef tallow closely resembles the human skin cell structure
- Tightens and maintains integrity of skin cells
- Promotes skin cell regeneration
Other local ingredients I use include raw honey, herbs, vegetables, gluten free oats, milk products and filtered rain/snow.
I use 100% pure essential oils for fragrance and natural colors made from botanicals, herbs and clays.
If you want to get into making soap check out the Nerdy Farmwife website to get some great ebooks and recipes for natural soap making.